Constellation Chamber
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's the Point of a Wedding?

3 posters

Go down

What's the Point of a Wedding? Empty What's the Point of a Wedding?

Post  PapiChuloLeon Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:34 am

I don't understand why anyone would spend $25G on one day. If you love each other that much, blow that kind of money on a vacation around the world. That $25G can be made into even moar money over the years if you're creative enough. Considering that half of marriages end up in a divorce, would you bet $25G on a fucking coin toss?

PapiChuloLeon
PapiChuloLeon

Title : Cat Lover

Back to top Go down

What's the Point of a Wedding? Empty Re: What's the Point of a Wedding?

Post  Dinny Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:55 pm

PapiChuloLeon wrote:I don't understand why anyone would spend $25G on one day. If you love each other that much, blow that kind of money on a vacation around the world. That $25G can be made into even moar money over the years if you're creative enough. Considering that half of marriages end up in a divorce, would you bet $25G on a fucking coin toss?

I'm kind of undecided on this. I want to spend money on a ceremony, but completely forgo the reception. The reception is the part where all the money is gone anyway. But no one would turn up if I did that, considering people only really go to weddings for all that delicious free food and cake at the end of it all. But I would rather go somewhere and eat privately.
Dinny
Dinny
Admin

Title : Edible
Virgo Goat

http://dark-insane-ninja.atspace.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  PapiChuloLeon Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:29 pm

Dinny wrote:
PapiChuloLeon wrote:I don't understand why anyone would spend $25G on one day. If you love each other that much, blow that kind of money on a vacation around the world. That $25G can be made into even moar money over the years if you're creative enough. Considering that half of marriages end up in a divorce, would you bet $25G on a fucking coin toss?

I'm kind of undecided on this. I want to spend money on a ceremony, but completely forgo the reception. The reception is the part where all the money is gone anyway. But no one would turn up if I did that, considering people only really go to weddings for all that delicious free food and cake at the end of it all. But I would rather go somewhere and eat privately.
That's why you only invite those close to you. They'll show up no matter what.
PapiChuloLeon
PapiChuloLeon

Back to top Go down

Post  Dinny Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:48 pm

PapiChuloLeon wrote:
Dinny wrote:

That's why you only invite those close to you. They'll show up no matter what.

Yeah, you're right. I talked to my dad about it and he said it would be fine to have a reception because I wouldn't have THAT many people coming anyway. I'd have both my parents, my sister and her girlfriend, Katrina, Euree and Rollie (family friends), and then I suppose all of my friends on top of that. I would invite my extended family in Sydney but I dunno if they'd make it over. ARM would have his parents and POSSIBLY more of his family but probably not. And Arikus/Janker even though I'm not sure where the funds will come from... maybe we'll split the plane fare 50/50.
Dinny
Dinny
Admin

Virgo Goat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:38 pm

Some things you just can't put a price on. A memory is one of them.

Weddings are every little girls dream. They start planning how it will be when they are very young. Not so much for guys.

I do not like statistics myself. Half of marriages fail today because it is deemed acceptable by society. People rush in with unreal expectations and then try to change the other to meet their ideal image. When things start to go wrong, they give up. Marriage is hard work and at times totally unpleasant. There will always be a time when one of you regrets it and wants out. When this happens to both people at the same time, divorces happen. There's more to it, of course but, that's my 2-minute version.

Title : Master of All
Taurus Dog

Back to top Go down

Post  PapiChuloLeon Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:01 pm

Guest wrote:Weddings are every little girls dream. They start planning how it will be when they are very young. Not so much for guys.
More power to those females if they're using their own money to finance a wedding beyond their means. Very Happy

Not that I'm ever going to get married but I would run like hell from a girl who insists on a fancy flashy flamboyant wedding. It would show very different values in money. People argue about money all the time in relationships. People get killed over money.
PapiChuloLeon
PapiChuloLeon

Back to top Go down

Post  Dinny Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:59 pm

PapiChuloLeon wrote:
Guest wrote:Weddings are every little girls dream. They start planning how it will be when they are very young. Not so much for guys.
More power to those females if they're using their own money to finance a wedding beyond their means. Very Happy

Not that I'm ever going to get married but I would run like hell from a girl who insists on a fancy flashy flamboyant wedding. It would show very different values in money. People argue about money all the time in relationships. People get killed over money.

Its true. I also agree with Guest's synopsis up there.

My father explained that traditionally (bearing in mind he's in the older bracket and a traditionally-raised European, like my mother) the bride's family pays for the wedding, because it was viewed as the groom would be "taking her off their hands". It's become less like that now with women being able to get virtually any job and the like. Now it's usually 50/50 if the parents are involved.
Dinny
Dinny
Admin

Virgo Goat

Back to top Go down

Post  PapiChuloLeon Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:46 pm

Dinny wrote:
PapiChuloLeon wrote:

Its true. I also agree with Guest's synopsis up there.

My father explained that traditionally (bearing in mind he's in the older bracket and a traditionally-raised European, like my mother) the bride's family pays for the wedding, because it was viewed as the groom would be "taking her off their hands". It's become less like that now with women being able to get virtually any job and the like. Now it's usually 50/50 if the parents are involved.
Sounds good. I know some AZZ backwards cultures where it's the groom's family who's supposed to pay. You picked the fight family to be born into.

I plan to not marry. I'll die all alone when I'm old with no one there for me, but it's okay. Life is all about overcoming challenges.
PapiChuloLeon
PapiChuloLeon

Back to top Go down

Post  PapiChuloLeon Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:05 pm

Guest wrote:Some things you just can't put a price on. A memory is one of them.

Weddings are every little girls dream. They start planning how it will be when they are very young. Not so much for guys.

I do not like statistics myself. Half of marriages fail today because it is deemed acceptable by society. People rush in with unreal expectations and then try to change the other to meet their ideal image. When things start to go wrong, they give up. Marriage is hard work and at times totally unpleasant. There will always be a time when one of you regrets it and wants out. When this happens to both people at the same time, divorces happen. There's more to it, of course but, that's my 2-minute version.

Mr.Guest:

How do you think people end up getting married to someone they don't really even like? You're going to be living, eating, working, etc with this person. I don't understand how someone would end up making someone they don't even like into a family member.
PapiChuloLeon
PapiChuloLeon

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:43 pm

I just popped in here for a minute so I won't go into all the scenarios I can think of but I'd guess it happens for a variety of reasons. Some people get married because they think it is the natural progression of life; you are born, you grow up, you get married, raise a family and die. Some people marry the wrong person because they didn't take time to really see that person for who they are...or they don't really know themselves yet. Some people are running from something (past, bad childhood, whatever) and see marriage as a way out...the reasons go on and on.

Title : Master of All
Taurus Dog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum