Constellation Chamber
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Sports Do You Play?

+2
lilith
PapiChuloLeon
6 posters

Go down

What Sports Do You Play? Empty What Sports Do You Play?

Post  PapiChuloLeon Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:01 pm

Soccer, chess, tennis, etc? Anyone here play soccer?
PapiChuloLeon
PapiChuloLeon

Title : Cat Lover

Back to top Go down

What Sports Do You Play? Empty Re: What Sports Do You Play?

Post  lilith Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:34 pm

I'm more of a solo-athlete, more specifically, a runner, rockclimber, contortionist and yogini (I'm very happy with my body =)). Physical activity on my own is meditative, and competition isn't in my nature because I find other people distracting. If I'm playing basketball, for instance, I get too aggressive and at the end of the day it doesn't make me feel good. Trying to beat other people's scores feels like trying to meet someone else's goals and it feels much better to finally beat my own time at a certain distance or make that stretch that I haven't been able to do before. It doesn't matter how fast someone else ran or what positions they can get themselves into.

While there is unarguably a mental and physiological component in playing sports, I'd prefer playing chess or other games with others to playing something like sudoku (I like mah jongg though).
lilith
lilith

Cancer Cat

http://reactorfire.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PapiChuloLeon Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:33 pm

lilith wrote:I'm more of a solo-athlete, more specifically, a runner, rockclimber, contortionist and yogini (I'm very happy with my body =)). Physical activity on my own is meditative, and competition isn't in my nature because I find other people distracting. If I'm playing basketball, for instance, I get too aggressive and at the end of the day it doesn't make me feel good. Trying to beat other people's scores feels like trying to meet someone else's goals and it feels much better to finally beat my own time at a certain distance or make that stretch that I haven't been able to do before. It doesn't matter how fast someone else ran or what positions they can get themselves into.

While there is unarguably a mental and physiological component in playing sports, I'd prefer playing chess or other games with others to playing something like sudoku (I like mah jongg though).
How often do you do marathons? Shocked
PapiChuloLeon
PapiChuloLeon

Title : Cat Lover

Back to top Go down

Post  Dinny Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:40 am

lilith wrote:I'm more of a solo-athlete, more specifically, a runner, rockclimber, contortionist and yogini (I'm very happy with my body =)). Physical activity on my own is meditative, and competition isn't in my nature because I find other people distracting. If I'm playing basketball, for instance, I get too aggressive and at the end of the day it doesn't make me feel good. Trying to beat other people's scores feels like trying to meet someone else's goals and it feels much better to finally beat my own time at a certain distance or make that stretch that I haven't been able to do before. It doesn't matter how fast someone else ran or what positions they can get themselves into.

I like your philosophy, a lot. I wish I could talk like that, but I haven't reached anywhere near that level of wisdom with regard to my own body yet. Also, I suck at sudoku. Razz

Yeah, my answer is pretty similar to Clare's. Throughout my life, I've mostly been a solo athlete (a swimmer to be precise). I dabbled in basketball though, and I really enjoyed the short time I spent playing it.

And I was on a chess team for two years. It's kind of hard for me to view that as a "sport", but my school classed it as one, so I guess I'll put it here. I guess it still has the competitive element and also we played in teams of five.
Dinny
Dinny
Admin

Title : Edible
Virgo Goat

http://dark-insane-ninja.atspace.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  lilith Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:36 am

Dinny wrote:

I like your philosophy, a lot. I wish I could talk like that, but I haven't reached anywhere near that level of wisdom with regard to my own body yet. Also, I suck at sudoku. Razz

Yeah, my answer is pretty similar to Clare's. Throughout my life, I've mostly been a solo athlete (a swimmer to be precise). I dabbled in basketball though, and I really enjoyed the short time I spent playing it.

And I was on a chess team for two years. It's kind of hard for me to view that as a "sport", but my school classed it as one, so I guess I'll put it here. I guess it still has the competitive element and also we played in teams of five.

Thanks, din-din. And chess definitely counts as a sport (I wish I was on a team for that). All of that hard thinking really burns calories! Wink
lilith
lilith

Cancer Cat

Back to top Go down

Post  MKing Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:22 am

CHESS.....really? Oh, C'mon

There is no way I can see Chess being viewed as a sport, If Chess counts as a sport than so does playing video games or playing Uno, and If those two are viewed as a sport, then I am all for calling Chess a sport.
MKing
MKing

Capricorn Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post  lilith Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:32 pm

MKing wrote:CHESS.....really? Oh, C'mon

There is no way I can see Chess being viewed as a sport, If Chess counts as a sport than so does playing video games or playing Uno, and If those two are viewed as a sport, then I am all for calling Chess a sport.

I love Wiki. It told me that chess is a mind sport, so I'll go with that.
lilith
lilith

Cancer Cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Monty Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:51 pm

I used to dabble in Football (SOCCER!), Cricket, Swimming and a bit of Rugby. I was doing pretty neat for diving but after I smashed my skull open, I got terrified of doing that sort of thing ever again.

I remember doing a marathon once, that nearly murdered me. I've got perfect legs for hiking but my body mass was too much for me to carry on with! XD
Monty
Monty

Leo Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  lilith Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:18 pm

PapiChuloLeon wrote:

How often do you do marathons? Shocked

Have never done one!
lilith
lilith

Cancer Cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:26 pm

You are awesome! Really.

Personally, I've never been into sports competitively although I am usually good at them. I did a little running in high school (cross-country) and was good enough to make the basketball team but couldn't play because of grades. I rode bmx and I still like to ride but not bmx. I have been toying with getting a road bike (have a Giant Boulder SE now) but haven't convinced myself that I need to spend the $$ for the one I want. I'm an all-or-nothing kind of person and the one I want is $$$ so I have nothing right now.

I haven't played chess in years.

Title : Master of All
Taurus Dog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down