Constellation Chamber
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where Children Sleep

4 posters

Go down

Where Children Sleep Empty Where Children Sleep

Post  PapiChuloLeon Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:48 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/photo-essay-where-children-sleep-204230454.html

Interesting piece
PapiChuloLeon
PapiChuloLeon

Title : Cat Lover

Back to top Go down

Where Children Sleep Empty Re: Where Children Sleep

Post  Wags Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:22 am

Very interesting, and scary. The images evoke so many thoughts. Only about two of those children looked "content" or okay (not including the first Japanese girl) and the rest... looked depressed, sad, and scared.

The first girl Kaya looked spoiled, so I guess she was happy about that, but... $1000 on clothes alone? Looking at that room, I don't wanna know what her parents/guardians spend on toys. I looked through some of the comments and one person posted the poem Richard Cory on there. Could be very fitting for Kaya, and the boy Jaime from Manhattan.

The money gap is frightening too. One child gets to revel in too much comfort and material items while the other doesn't have a roof over his head. Ridiculous.
Wags
Wags

Aries Goat

Back to top Go down

Post  PapiChuloLeon Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:03 am

Wags wrote:Very interesting, and scary. The images evoke so many thoughts. Only about two of those children looked "content" or okay (not including the first Japanese girl) and the rest... looked depressed, sad, and scared.

The first girl Kaya looked spoiled, so I guess she was happy about that, but... $1000 on clothes alone? Looking at that room, I don't wanna know what her parents/guardians spend on toys. I looked through some of the comments and one person posted the poem Richard Cory on there. Could be very fitting for Kaya, and the boy Jaime from Manhattan.

The money gap is frightening too. One child gets to revel in too much comfort and material items while the other doesn't have a roof over his head. Ridiculous.
Notice how the American girl didn't look so well off financially but was still fat. Neutral

I didn't like the Kaya's room either, it looks too commercialized and is lacking in personal flavor.

The child from Brazil had a real comfy looking place. Reminds me of my old rooms.
PapiChuloLeon
PapiChuloLeon

Back to top Go down

Post  Dinny Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:11 pm

PapiChuloLeon wrote:
Wags wrote:Very interesting, and scary. The images evoke so many thoughts. Only about two of those children looked "content" or okay (not including the first Japanese girl) and the rest... looked depressed, sad, and scared.

Notice how the American girl didn't look so well off financially but was still fat. Neutral

I didn't like the Kaya's room either, it looks too commercialized and is lacking in personal flavor.

The child from Brazil had a real comfy looking place. Reminds me of my old rooms.

I love Kaya's room. But it's too crowded for my taste. I love the subject matter/stuff in it, but there's just too much of it. It looks cluttered.

This whole article was really interesting, so much so that I'm going to share it with other friends of mine.

As for that American girl still being fat? You probably already know the answer to that. America is possibly the only country in the world where higher-calorie foods (preferable in survival scenarios, financial difficulty can count) are actually cheaper and more commercially available than lower calorie foods. You're poor. You can get a single apple for two bucks or a McDonalds meal which is larger and comes with a drink for one. What do you do?
Dinny
Dinny
Admin

Title : Edible
Virgo Goat

http://dark-insane-ninja.atspace.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  PapiChuloLeon Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:52 am

Dinny wrote:
PapiChuloLeon wrote:

I love Kaya's room. But it's too crowded for my taste. I love the subject matter/stuff in it, but there's just too much of it. It looks cluttered.

This whole article was really interesting, so much so that I'm going to share it with other friends of mine.

As for that American girl still being fat? You probably already know the answer to that. America is possibly the only country in the world where higher-calorie foods (preferable in survival scenarios, financial difficulty can count) are actually cheaper and more commercially available than lower calorie foods. You're poor. You can get a single apple for two bucks or a McDonalds meal which is larger and comes with a drink for one. What do you do?
Hey dinny do you have a barcode on the back of your neck under your hair? How much?
PapiChuloLeon
PapiChuloLeon

Back to top Go down

Post  lilith Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:56 pm

I liked the Brazilian one the best, too.

1) Kaya... sounds like her mother thinks she is a barbie doll!
2) Romanian... looks very uncomfortable. Obviously that's not where he sleeps at night every night. If his family is undocumented, in Italy and Romanian, he might be a Roma, meaning his sleeping locations vary a lot, for better or for worse.
3) Poor girl... if she's working in a quarry and has a thatched roof, she might be out near a jungle somewhere.
4) Alyssa... is it just me or can you look at her face and know exactly what she'll look like at 40? Odd bedroom, I'm wondering what the rest of the house looks like.
5) Amazonian... I just slept on tile floor for a week and had no trouble with it. I wish I lived in the jungle like him.
6) Dong... I wonder who put the poster up on the wall, and is that tilted poster a musician or something? He has some fruit in a bowl next to his bed and a fan at the end. Plus,what's all the red stuff on the left wall? I imagine it's very hot where he is. I looked up Yunnan.
7) Tzvika... sterile. I think Stalker would like that bedroom. Doesn't seem like a very materialistic crowd.
Cool Jamie... looks like a girl's room! I'm surprised the bedroom is so big on such a dense street.
9) Thais... already looks like a runway model. I like the bedroom.
10) Kana... kinda cool. Looks middle-classish (US-wise), but I don't know what that translates to in Tokyo.
lilith
lilith

Cancer Cat

http://reactorfire.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PapiChuloLeon Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:41 pm

lilith wrote:I liked the Brazilian one the best, too.

2) Romanian... looks very uncomfortable. Obviously that's not where he sleeps at night every night. If his family is undocumented, in Italy and Romanian, he might be a Roma, meaning his sleeping locations vary a lot, for better or for worse.
3) Poor girl... if she's working in a quarry and has a thatched roof, she might be out near a jungle somewhere.
4) Alyssa... is it just me or can you look at her face and know exactly what she'll look like at 40? Odd bedroom, I'm wondering what the rest of the house looks like.
5) Amazonian... I just slept on tile floor for a week and had no trouble with it. I wish I lived in the jungle like him.
6) Dong... I wonder who put the poster up on the wall, and is that tilted poster a musician or something? He has some fruit in a bowl next to his bed and a fan at the end. Plus,what's all the red stuff on the left wall? I imagine it's very hot where he is. I looked up Yunnan.
7) Tzvika... sterile. I think Stalker would like that bedroom. Doesn't seem like a very materialistic crowd.
Cool Jamie... looks like a girl's room! I'm surprised the bedroom is so big on such a dense street.
10) Kana... kinda cool. Looks middle-classish (US-wise), but I don't know what that translates to in Tokyo.
What happen there?
PapiChuloLeon
PapiChuloLeon

Back to top Go down

Post  Dinny Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:43 am

That poster in Dong's room is Chairman Mao, an equally beloved and hated communist leader of China. He founded the People's Republic of China. And was once upon a time a good man with good intentions.

You may know him from epic, hardcore failures such as:

The Great Leap Forward: "Hey guys, the rest of the world is modernizing! We will reach their level in five years! Steel/metal is totally modern. Let's smelt down all of our metal objects and recycle them into weaponry and technology." People smelted down all their belongings: cutlery, doorknobs, certain jewelery, fixtures, just about everything. Mao didn't know his metallurgy very well apparently, because all they got was pig iron. Pig iron is brittle and totally useless for anything at all. They were left without implements to harvest the crops, and in the rush to modernize, most crops just withered on the vine. China suffered a massive famine and economic regression. Somewhere between 20 - 30 million people died.

The Thousand Flowers Movement: A totally dick move. Mao famously said, "Let a thousand flowers bloom, let a thousand thoughts contend". He lured the Chinese public into a false sense of security and encouraged people to criticize the government. This went on for a year or two, with Mao playing it cool and saying he welcomed the critique, then he turned around and slaughtered all of them.

And then I don't know if this has a name, but... He is also famous for this one other brilliant idea. He saw sparrows eating grains during a time of famine and said something like "They eat our grains, they're an enemy to us" and ordered that all sparrows be killed on sight.

This also backfired magnificently. So many sparrows died that crop-eating insects proliferated and fucking tore through the crops like a lawnmower. So the famine worsened and more people died. Again.

Edit: Looks like there is a name and an article about the last bit I mentioned: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Pests_Campaign
Dinny
Dinny
Admin

Title : Edible
Virgo Goat

http://dark-insane-ninja.atspace.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  lilith Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:17 am

PapiChuloLeon wrote:

What happen there?

Field school.
lilith
lilith

Cancer Cat

http://reactorfire.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: