Constellation Chamber
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook

+5
Arikus
mi-cuit
Dr. ARM
PapiChuloLeon
Dinny
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook Empty Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook

Post  Dinny Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:04 am

Don't worry, I promise this will be the one and only egocentric thread for the two of us.

So it might resemble the "Art Thread" from the old forum, except it's for Dr. ARM and myself to put up our stuff and receive some feedback. This is because at the moment we're refining our techniques and polishing up on, well, everything. Everything needed to make the comic we'll be writing.

This is what spurred it on: a very, very rough pilot I threw together in ten minutes. This is literally just me expanding on a doodle that Dr. ARM drew in MSN paint in a minute or two and is nowhere near indicative of the true quality of the final piece, but it should give you a sense of what the style is like.
Spoiler:

We toyed with drawings of the other characters for a while (I don't think I'll post them), and then Dr. ARM sent some rough linework to me, which I worked on. This is an example highly detailed mugshot that should appear on the final dossiers for all of the characters (so yes, there will be more like it to come once ARM stops being lazy).
Spoiler:
(Yes, ARM, I will fix the hairline eventually. You kind of asked me to change it AFTER I committed the layers, so I'll have to go back to properly do it.)

That's all for the time being, but as we do some more experimental sketches and work toward the dossiers, I'll keep posting them here. I'm hoping we'll see some of the other characters, because as much as I adore Dr. ARM's character, I'd like to work more on the others, especially the antagonist.

By the way, like half the forum has worked it's way into the story somehow. It started off as a joke and then got kinda out of control from that point onwards.
Dinny
Dinny
Admin

Title : Edible
Virgo Goat

http://dark-insane-ninja.atspace.com/

Back to top Go down

Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook Empty Re: Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook

Post  PapiChuloLeon Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:56 pm

Dinny wrote:By the way, like half the forum has worked it's way into the story somehow. It started off as a joke and then got kinda out of control from that point onwards.
I hope I'm not in there. I talk too much shit, and you guys have the power to control "my fate". Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook Icon_eek

You draw well. Is that supposed to be CHUNK MUNK?
PapiChuloLeon
PapiChuloLeon

Title : Cat Lover

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. ARM Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:23 pm

These are just some quick doodles I made of my character. Dinny spruced them up a bit (a lot) and posted them here. I still need to refine my technique and work some things out before I think about actually starting anything.
Dr. ARM
Dr. ARM
Admin

Title : Mad Scientist
Virgo Horse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dinny Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:57 pm

PapiChuloLeon wrote:
Dinny wrote:By the way, like half the forum has worked it's way into the story somehow. It started off as a joke and then got kinda out of control from that point onwards.
I hope I'm not in there. I talk too much shit, and you guys have the power to control "my fate". Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook Icon_eek

You draw well. Is that supposed to be CHUNK MUNK?

It's ARM, of course. And no, you're not in there, so you can rest easy. Laughing I can't say the same for Cancercrab/Lilith, FloowerFox, Arikus, Stalker or others, though.
Dinny
Dinny
Admin

Virgo Goat

Back to top Go down

Post  PapiChuloLeon Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:37 am

Dr. ARM wrote:These are just some quick doodles I made of my character. Dinny spruced them up a bit (a lot) and posted them here. I still need to refine my technique and work some things out before I think about actually starting anything.
What city are you in for that sketch? That doesn't look like NorCal.
PapiChuloLeon
PapiChuloLeon

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. ARM Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:08 am

I have no idea. Dinny added that background.
Dr. ARM
Dr. ARM
Admin

Title : Mad Scientist
Virgo Horse

Back to top Go down

Post  mi-cuit Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:43 am

The drawings are really detailed. I like the overall style of it. Am I in the story?
mi-cuit
mi-cuit

Cancer Cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Dinny Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:23 am

mi-cuit wrote:The drawings are really detailed. I like the overall style of it. Am I in the story?

As far as the story goes, not quite. That said, we have a cameo/small role planned for you, woo!

The whole story started off as a really stupid joke and then snowballed. It doesn't take place in our world, but in a parallel world quite similar to ours. The city Dr. ARM lives in is a fusion of modern day America and European cities (instead of suburbian residential areas, residential areas are more full of closely-stacked units tucked away in small sidestreets). It's a very interesting setting and it allows us to toy a lot. It's basically a "Get out of Jail Free" card, because there are some events that occur in the story that would be somewhat improbable in our world because of how the government, police powers etc are structured.

It's a semi-serious story with a lot of black and grotesque humor. For instance, Dr. ARM falls in love with Dinny at first sight after crushing her under the wheels of a tour bus while driving recklessly, Stalker's character (being an alien) is grossly unaware of social norms and how the human world works (with hilarious results), and Cancercrab's character communicates solely by foaming at the mouth and clapping her pincers (but she's involved in a hilarious and unexpected plot twist that I won't spoil here).

I'm excited to start working on it, but I need to give ARM a few kicks about it. He's reluctant to start anything unless he can see how it'll run from the beginning through to the end, but he has to understand that very few artistic endeavors work like that. As a writer, and as someone who's seen many people write their own comics, I can attest that the best way to do it is to know how you'll do the first part, and just do it, and the rest will kind of unfold itself once you start working. Probably one of his most fucking annoying/stubborn traits. Razz
Dinny
Dinny
Admin

Virgo Goat

Back to top Go down

Post  PapiChuloLeon Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:03 am

Dinny wrote:Stalker's character (being an alien) is grossly unaware of social norms and how the human world works (with hilarious results) Razz
so your story is has some non-fiction parts Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook Icon_surprised
PapiChuloLeon
PapiChuloLeon

Back to top Go down

Post  Dinny Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:12 am

PapiChuloLeon wrote:
Dinny wrote:Stalker's character (being an alien) is grossly unaware of social norms and how the human world works (with hilarious results) Razz
so your story is has some non-fiction parts Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook Icon_surprised

Fucking nailed it. You're quick, aren't you? Razz

That comment made my day.
Dinny
Dinny
Admin

Virgo Goat

Back to top Go down

Post  PapiChuloLeon Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:12 pm

Dinny wrote:
PapiChuloLeon wrote:

Fucking nailed it. You're quick, aren't you? Razz

That comment made my day.
Dinny wrote:Cancercrab's character communicates solely by
foaming at the mouth and clapping her pincers (but she's involved in a
hilarious and unexpected plot twist that I won't spoil here). Razz
My guess about the twist is that she has some kind of friendship with the alien, and that it's responsible for all that foam around her mouth. She claps to signal that she needs moar foam. Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook Icon_surprised

You are so bad. Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook Icon_lol
PapiChuloLeon
PapiChuloLeon

Back to top Go down

Post  mi-cuit Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:06 pm

*anxiously awaits his cameo* Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook Icon_bounce
mi-cuit
mi-cuit

Cancer Cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Dinny Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:53 am

PapiChuloLeon wrote:
My guess about the twist is that she has some kind of friendship with the alien, and that it's responsible for all that foam around her mouth. She claps to signal that she needs moar foam. Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook Icon_surprised

Haha, more off the mark. The friendship between her character and Stalker's is obvious: she's usually seen sitting on his shoulder. The twist is something to do with the fact that she seems like a fairly pointless character (in part, she's there so that Stalker's character can do external monologues), but ends up surprising everyone and becoming important. That's about as much as I can day.

Speaking of Stalker's character, mugshot time.
Spoiler:

You would need to see him fullbody to understand what's going on with his design, but he can be best described as half-human-half-octopus. He has a human's body from the waist up, and from the waist down, he has thick tentacles (which he walks on). That thing on his face is a snout, rather like what Deku scrubs from the Zelda series have.

Before you ask, yes, he has a beak under all of those tentacles, and that's his true mouth. He is the only character that has abilities beyond that of a human: like an octopus, he can poison prey, he can spit ink of various consistencies (from thick and sticky to slippery and lubricated), and change his skin color. The suction cups on his tentacles are so strong he can walk on ceilings if he wanted to. As a fun fact, also like all octopi, he has blue blood and three hearts.

Can't wait to draw some fullbody shots. His markings are actually transparent rings, host to bio-luminescent bacteria, and they glow turquoise.

Before you ask, yes, his character's glowing green eyes are a throwback to his old forum avatar. And his octopus-ness was from all the times he referred to himself as a squid/octopus/having tentacles. He's a walking in-joke.
Dinny
Dinny
Admin

Virgo Goat

Back to top Go down

Post  mi-cuit Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:24 am

HAhahahaa. I have no doubt he'd approve.
mi-cuit
mi-cuit

Cancer Cat

Back to top Go down

Post  PapiChuloLeon Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:15 pm

Dinny wrote:
PapiChuloLeon wrote:

Haha, more off the mark. The friendship between her character and Stalker's is obvious: she's usually seen sitting on his shoulder. The twist is something to do with the fact that she seems like a fairly pointless character (in part, she's there so that Stalker's character can do external monologues), but ends up surprising everyone and becoming important. That's about as much as I can day.

Speaking of Stalker's character, mugshot time.
Spoiler:

You would need to see him fullbody to understand what's going on with his design, but he can be best described as half-human-half-octopus. He has a human's body from the waist up, and from the waist down, he has thick tentacles (which he walks on). That thing on his face is a snout, rather like what Deku scrubs from the Zelda series have.

Before you ask, yes, he has a beak under all of those tentacles, and that's his true mouth. He is the only character that has abilities beyond that of a human: like an octopus, he can poison prey, he can spit ink of various consistencies (from thick and sticky to slippery and lubricated), and change his skin color. The suction cups on his tentacles are so strong he can walk on ceilings if he wanted to. As a fun fact, also like all octopi, he has blue blood and three hearts.

Can't wait to draw some fullbody shots. His markings are actually transparent rings, host to bio-luminescent bacteria, and they glow turquoise.

Before you ask, yes, his character's glowing green eyes are a throwback to his old forum avatar. And his octopus-ness was from all the times he referred to himself as a squid/octopus/having tentacles. He's a walking in-joke.
Looks like a creepy guy.

Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook 125421_main

What about you? What do you look like in sketchform? Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook Icon_biggrin
PapiChuloLeon
PapiChuloLeon

Back to top Go down

Post  Dinny Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:29 am

Ok, so we didn't draw this, but here. Get an idea of Lilith/Cancercrab's character. Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook Icon_razz

Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook Cfeb2241-eaf9-47aa-b347-34bb6520f1e5
Dinny
Dinny
Admin

Virgo Goat

Back to top Go down

Post  Arikus Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:13 pm

Dinny wrote:Ok, so we didn't draw this, but here. Get an idea of Lilith/Cancercrab's character. Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook Icon_razz

That Gif is incredible.
Its a gif to mankind.
(see what I did there, its a pun)
Arikus
Arikus

Title : Resourcerer
Aquarius Horse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dinny Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:43 am

mi-cuit wrote:HAhahahaa. I have no doubt he'd approve.

I think he'd actually be amused by it. He's initially construed as an "evil" character, but he's not really. He's antagonistic for reasons beyond his control.

PapiChuloLeon wrote: What about you? What do you look like in sketchform? Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook Icon_biggrin

You'll see if you scroll down, because Dr. ARM and I have received a pile of fanart recently. I look like me but with longer hair, deer antlers and a deer tail. When Dr. ARM crushed my character under the wheels of a tour bus, part of his treatment for me consisted of gene therapy. Why a deer? Because he figured that deer get hit by cars all the time and seem to take it quite well. So, I form pedicles (the nerve rich bases on a stag's head) and eventually grow antlers as an unforeseen side-effect. For the record, yes, female deer can grow antlers, but less than 1% of does present this mutation.

Arikus wrote:
That Gif is incredible.
Its a gif to mankind.
(see what I did there, its a pun)

You're hilarious. We need to do more drawings of your character ASAP, I want moar Arikus. I've been pushing Dr. ARM to do some serious/detailed illustrations, I hope you feel loved.

Fanart we've received recently (and not so recently):

Dr. ARM
Spoiler:

Dinny
Spoiler:

... That's not even half. But those are my favorites.
Dinny
Dinny
Admin

Virgo Goat

Back to top Go down

Post  mi-cuit Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:49 am

Dr. ARM is quite bloody. :O I love the black labcoat/army jacket one.

The deer gene-splicing story is hilarious. I love the chibi drawing of you.
mi-cuit
mi-cuit

Cancer Cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Dinny Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:50 am

mi-cuit wrote:Dr. ARM is quite bloody. :O I love the black labcoat/army jacket one.

The deer gene-splicing story is hilarious. I love the chibi drawing of you.

He is indeed (sometimes). I love his black labcoat too, but nothing beats the original white with the elbow-length gloves.

All in all, yay and thank you, wooooo. Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook 78278
Dinny
Dinny
Admin

Virgo Goat

Back to top Go down

Post  mi-cuit Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:15 am

Wasn't that your userpic at some point? You and him cuddled. I liked that one.
mi-cuit
mi-cuit

Cancer Cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Dinny Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am

mi-cuit wrote:Wasn't that your userpic at some point? You and him cuddled. I liked that one.

Mmhm, difference being I drew that one. I just posted art that was drawn by fans. And I'm still expecting more, so I'm excited. Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook 78278
Dinny
Dinny
Admin

Virgo Goat

Back to top Go down

Post  mi-cuit Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:12 am

How did it get fans? Is it posted somewhere (the story)? Illustrations on deviantart?
mi-cuit
mi-cuit

Cancer Cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Dinny Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:47 am

Shit. I can't believe I didn't reply to you, mi-cuit. I'm sorry that it took me so long to see your post.

There are tidbits and illustrations on both DA and on Gaia Online, so that's where the fans come from. I received the best piece of art ever today, I am so in love with it.

Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook Sexyedit

We've gotten... a lot. But I'm too lazy to post any others. Laughing I will do it eventually in case anyone cares.
Dinny
Dinny
Admin

Virgo Goat

Back to top Go down

Post  lilith Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:59 am

Dinny wrote:Ok, so we didn't draw this, but here. Get an idea of Lilith/Cancercrab's character. Dinny and Dr. ARM's Sketchbook Icon_razz

I'm not sure whether I should laugh or be offended... =P
lilith
lilith

Cancer Cat

http://reactorfire.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next